Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fighting the Good Fight: The Father Peter Whelan Story Trailer

'Woe to the shepherds who mislead and scatter the flock of my pasture, says the LORD. Therefore, thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, against the shepherds who shepherd my people: You have scattered my sheep and driven them away. You have not cared for them, but I will take care to punish your evil deeds. I myself will gather the remnant of my flock from all the lands to which I have driven them and bring them back to their meadow; there they shall increase and multiply. I will appoint shepherds for them who will shepherd them so that they need no longer fear and tremble; and none shall be missing, says the LORD.' Jer 23:1-4

One such shepherd who ministered to the Lord's flock was Father Peter Whelan. In the final months of the American Civil War, this priest went into the hell-hole that was Andersonville Prison where almost 1 out every 3 Union soldiers died of starvation, malnutrition, diarrhea, and/or disease. Once inside that death trap, this brave shepherd said Mass, heard Confessions, anointed the sick, buried the dead and offered solace to all regardless of faith or hometown. They may have been Yankees to everyone else, but to Father Whelan they were God's own and in need of His Loving Care, which they received. God bless this brave and selfless priest!

No comments:

Post a Comment