Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Love Affair With The Truth

A perfect title for an excellent documentary. As you will soon discover, if you care to, I'm devoted to our new Holy Father.

Besides owning over twenty of his books and several biographies, I read his books with a care I usually reserve for Holy Scripture, i.e., I pour over them. I'm moderator for the Goodreads group dedicated to reading his books, Benedict's Book Club and I follow what he does and says with (com)passionate attention.

And yet, this 'love affair' on my part is just over a year old. I only 'discovered' Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger when a friend insisted I read his first encyclical, Deus Caritas Est. I did and I was hooked. Prior to that, I'm ashamed to admit I bought into the media image of him as 'Doctor No', the Church's Inquisitor Personified. I had never bothered to look beyond the Bad Guy portrayal of this gentle, scholarly and brilliant walking saint. But even the most cursory perusal of his life, choices, and/or writings reveals the heart of the man, Joseph, lover of Jesus Christ.

This documentary is perfectly titled. His life's work truly has been a love affair with The Truth. At one point he is called a Doctor of the Church. I might go one further and call him a Doctor of the Doctors of our Church.

If you're still looking for the perfect gift for that hard-to-buy-for Catholic in your life, get him (or her) this documentary. And then when your immediate family finishes watching it, share it with others in your extended family, friends and members of your parish. It's wonderful! May The Truth shine His Light upon us again as He did in Bethlehem over two thousand years ago. Advent Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment