Saturday, December 1, 2007

2 Originals Better Than a Remake

When is the last time you had a night of pure movie watching enjoyment?

For our family I can say, "last night!" When my dad suggested we check out Ocean's 11 I thought it sounded vaguely familiar, but I definitely made note of it on the handy pad of post-its © we keep near the phone. Dear old dad doesn't often recommend movies--better make a record of this. Then he happened to mention that it featured the old Rat Pack and I knew I had to show it to my dear daughters as a part of their movie-watching education. I have very fond memories of watching old movies that my dad called 'classics' and the rest of the family called 'old war movies'. Bridge on the River Kwai and The Great Escape come immediately to mind. But whatever you call them, there are certain people in your life, who -- when they suggest you see or do something -- you just sit up and take notice. My dad is one of those people and this was one of those times! KWIM?

But I digress! Ocean's 11 was all I hoped it would be--a great period piece featuring fabulous shots of old Vegas, Frank and Dean and those extravagant cars from days gone by. If you want a trip down 'strip nostalgia', you have found it. I might have felt 'old' when my daughters asked what those were, indicating old-fashioned room keys, but it was fun sharing what I remembered with them and realizing that my life was part of their 'history'.

Yes, the dialog is hokey, the one-liners definitely dated, but it's unadulterated late 50's on the cusp of the 60's entertainment. The WWII vets had reached their zenith and were just on the verge of decline, but they didn't know it yet. The seeds were sown for all the revolution that was to come in the next decade. They were still talking about why we hadn't walked on the moon yet and it was just nine short years away. Talk about a bit of Americana. Nothing highly intellectual here, just eleven guys after the perfect heist. You have to see it. (Thanks Dad!)

And then, when we thought we'd seen it all -- had our fill of Hollywood heaven -- we moved on to Fred and Ginger, dancing perfection! I don't know about you, but I've seen a few of the dazzling duo swirling around the dance floor and thought to myself (although never quite had the nerve to voice it aloud) 'What's the big deal?' Well, the 'Big Deal' is -- I have found out -- that I had not yet seen them at their finest!

Whether you are from the disco era or hip hop or you prefer Irish dance, you haven't seen Dancing, with a capital "D", until you have seen Astaire and Rogers, the true originals! Just last week we introduced our daughters to Saturday Night Fever and they wanted to know about the 'gay guys' singing all the songs. (I think they meant the Bee Gees, but I won't tell if you don't!) So it was way past time to introduce them to George and Ira Gershwin who did the music for Shall We Dance.

Remember or recognize They Can't Take That Away from Me? It has a whole new meaning when you see Fred singing it to Ginger leaning over her shoulder after they've secretly wed in New Jersey and are ferry-bound back to the Big Apple. And how about Let's Call the Whole Thing Off, the 'potato/po-tah-to' song? Does that bring back memories? I can't even remember the first time I heard those songs--so long ago it doesn't matter. It was wonderful to hear them again!

Once again, it was interesting to compare experiences and teach the kids about old-fashioned 'record' albums, something I grew up with and took for granted.

There's nothing like the oldies to remind you that . . . there is nothing like them.

It calls to mind the saying, "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery." I guess that's why both movies have been 'remade'.

We haven't seen the remakes . . . yet. But I'll just bet that, '2 Originals are Better Than Any Remake!' Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment