Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Promise of a New Day

by Karen Casey and Martha Vanceburg

Change is as inevitable as the promise of a new day. So what if you know you don't 'do change' well? And what if you have 'one of those years'? One of those years when you have more changes than one person -- even one who is flexible, young and springs back easily -- can absorb readily? (And what if you know you may be . . . ahem . . . a little less than flexible, young and springy?)

Hopefully you have a book like, The Promise of a New Day.

I know that people face far worse every day than I do. Lately I collect hard luck stories--not to bring me down--but to remind me how good I have it. My dear husband and daughters tell me real tales every night of abusive marriages, long-term illness, apathetic teens, drug addiction, financial ruin, parents who buy and sell their children's affection, families spread from coast to coast, and lives of unspeakable suffering, which they encounter every day at work and school. Just to help me put things in perspective. And they do help. They really do! I have seen in the last few months--as I never realized before--just how sheltered from the big wide world our little oasis of family heaven has been.

But I've also got to use my own life and my own past as somewhat of a measuring stick and -- for me -- this has been a roller coaster of a year. Still in spite of everything, when I look at where I was at the beginning of the year, I can say that I have learned every lesson set before me--although usually only after and because of my mistakes and sins. (sigh) Whoever said, "We learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes," must have had me in mind.

Even so, I still struggle to stay in the present, to concentrate on the lesson at hand. In the past, one way I've stayed anchored in each day's learning process was through a book of daily meditations. Two of my favorites have been, God Calling, given to me by my own dear mother when I was a teen and, Simple Abundance, given to me by my second mother, my mother-in-law. Both are excellent daily books of meditation. A few years back I even bought a copy of God Calling that had a journal with it and disciplined myself to write a prayer every day to accompany the mediation. Such practices are so good for me--the more discipline I have in my life, the better I do.

This year, however, my 'spiritual mother' provided the book for me and the book is called, The Promise of a New Day. It was originally published in 1983 and I have a paperback edition--not the same picture shown above. Usually I like to find the picture which matches the edition I have, but in this case, I looked and I can't find mine so you'll just have to settle for this one. Or rather I will, because it probably won't matter as much to anyone else as it does to me.

Each page consists of an opening quote (and they are usually wonderful!) several paragraphs developing the theme of the day and then a positive affirmation at the bottom. I keep my copy of Promise on the kitchen table and read it every day. I can't tell you how many times it has helped me this year--how many times it has been spot on so far as pertaining to what I needed to know, hear, read that day. Very often the words contained in that book were quite literally the 'Voice of God' for me.

Usually I don't write up books until I have finished reading them. However, since I won't complete this book until the last day of this calendar year by then it will be too late--you will have already finished your holiday shopping. If you are looking for the perfect book for a very special lady -- mother, daughter, sister or friend -- in your life, I can't recommend this book too highly. It's sublime!

Karen Casey and Martha Vanceburg have compiled a charming book of daily reflections, which also happens to be a quarter of a century old next year. Get it as a gift. Or treat yourself to a copy. Or both! God willing, it will brighten your next year of promising new days.

No comments:

Post a Comment