Sunday, December 5, 2010

How bad is the economy?.

So bad that my accountant fired me!

No, really! My accountant fired me!.

    The termination letter was dated December 1st.

     It starts with a discussion about "a strategic review of resources" and the firm's "goals and revenue contributions"......and then comes the coup de grace:



......the result of all this strategic analysis is that we have made the difficult decision of referring selected clients to other competent firms. You are one of the selected clients......


     Kinda sounds like I won the lottery rather than got fired as a client, no? Selected client indeed!

     When I first took my business to him in the Mid-1980's, the individual who does (did) my taxes was the junior-partner of a two-partner Birmingham firm. But now he's now the full-partner in a much larger Birmingham firm.

      I'm not worth their trouble any more. Excess baggage. Small fry.

      There's a personal note on the bottom. It was  probably written by a robo pen. I'm sure they wouldn't want to use up precious resources on the little guy down in Montgomery.

      The note says he feels "terrible" about having to give me the bad news.

     I'm sure he does.

     Was it something I said? The way I signed my yearly multi-hundred dollar checks? Was the every now and then mid-year email with a question too troublesome? Was it my breath?

     Ironically, the day I received their snail mail letter* of dismissal, I also received an e-mail from the company inviting me to enroll in a new website for clients. I guess the email division wasn't sent a copy of my termination letter.

     Who's next? Will the water company discover I'm not using enough to justify keeping me on the rolls? Will Visa say I'm just not charging enough to make me worth their corporate attention?

     Anyway, after all of that time with the same person handling my rather limited books, I'm in the hunt for an accountant in Montgomery. Recommendations? Send me an email. I'll brush, I promise!



(*At least they get kudos for not doing it by email. I've already been fired once by phone, and I don't think I could take an even colder termination notice.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment