Monday, June 27, 2011

My problem with Tim Pawlenty, besides everything he stands for


I recently saw Tim Pawlenty's new ad to run in Iowa. I just don't know.

When you've been around politics a long time, you like to think you can consider things objectively and not let your own views get in the way of good analysis. That may not be possible, but some of us do try.

Well before Pawlenty crashed and burned in his "moment" during the CNN candidates' debate in which he famously failed to take on Mitt Romney on health care reform, having previously coined the silly term "Obamneycare," T-Paw, at least for me, always exuded a whimpering weakness. Franky, he makes me cringe.

So, now he's got an ad to run in Iowa in which he talks about the fact that his health care reform in Minnesota didn't involve an individual mandate, as Romney's did in Massachusetts. I know this may sound strange, but after the debate, any time Pawlenty takes a swipe at Romney, it's going to feel like he's talking trash behind Romney's back when he won't stand up to him, up close and personal, given the chance. I'm fairly sure most people frown on that sort of behavior.

But, beside all of that, the man just bothers me.

It's not about policy. It's not about where he stands on the issues. It's about how he comes across. And, objectively speaking, in this ad (below), he just comes across as "weak," like if you looked at him the wrong way, he'd dissolve. And, to be clear, I'm not saying it's true, only that in politics appearance is the largest part of reality.

Come to think of it, he kind of reminds me of Jon Cryer's character on Two and Half Men, Charlie's pathetic brother.

Anyway, decide for yourself.


(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

No comments:

Post a Comment