Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sample of the Day (Day 1)

Welcome to Where's My 40 Acres' Sample of the Day, highlighting some of the best production in the hip-hop game.
First out the box is Solomon Burke's "Cool Breeze," off his 1972 film soundtrack od the same name. This song was sampled by Hassan for Ghostface Kilah's Supreme Clientele album on the classic, super-quotable Ghost track "Apollo Kids."


For me, the wild thing about this track is that since I'm a massive Ghostface fan, it sounds to me almost like Solomon Burke made a track after chopping up Apollo Kids on his MPC and then playing the rest of the stuff. The pieces of the sample don't fall in the same order they do on Apollo Kids, so it always throws me. Anyway, this song is a classic blaxploitation jam and is a great example of Solomon Burke's massive musical abilities. If you don't know, check him out! R.I.P. Solomon Burke, long live the music!

Solomon Burke - "Cool Breeze"


Ghostface Killah - "Apollo Kids"

No comments:

Post a Comment