Thursday, January 13, 2011

The President's Speech

It would have been difficult, regardless of your politics, to hear President Obama's speech last night without being moved. Perhaps the most moving part came during his disclosure that Congresswoman Giffords had opened her eyes that afternoon....and his statement about the nine year old student council president who died:







I want to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as Christina imagined it. I want America to be as good as she imagined it. All of us -- we should do everything we can to make sure this country lives up to our children's expectations.


     Yet, I have to say I  found the frequent cheering somewhat odd. This wasn't a pep rally, or a political campaign event. It was, at least in part, a memorial for the six people who did not survive.



[UPDATE: Watch a CBS-News report on the "cheering" aspect of the event.]

No comments:

Post a Comment