Saturday, August 27, 2011

What Poland and California have in common

czesc
pronounced 'cheswhch'

Polish for "hi"

a just-bursting-from-the-pod red poppy


So what in the world do California, USA have in common with
the country of Poland?


poppy necklace including free earrings, by www.RachelleD.etsy.com

The red corn poppy is the floral emblem of Poland, set against a blue sky.



The State Flower for the state of California, USA is the golden poppy.

Now, I realize that the red corn poppy is red,
and the golden poppy is kinda' orangeish,
BUT
they are both from the same category - the poppy!

vintage 1970 botanical print, www.NaturalistCollection.etsy.com


So today I celebrate the Month of August Flower
the poppy
and the Floral Emblem of Poland
the red corn poppy
and the State Flower of California
the golden poppy.



punched, cut and shaped flowers on 2 greeting cards


Floral designs from Dover. I think the bottom right one looks like a poppy.
Scandinavian Glansbilleder, 'Poppy girl', courtesy of OrigamiBears

Here are some beautiful photos of places in Poland:



postcard for Ziebice


Poland's Coat of Arms

Now let's throw a little California in -


Remember - you can right click on any photo/graphic
and it usually comes up bigger.


These golden poppies are growing in a parking lot in CA!

California state bird and flower.
Can anyone tell me what the state bird for California is?


You can tell me in the COMMENTS section of my blog,
or you can e-mail me here:




Poppy Plate Clock


"Summer set lip to earth's bosom bare,
And left the flushed print in a poppy there."

- Francis Thompson


double poppy hybrid

from ferenc.biz/red-corn-poppy-pictures-national-flower-poland/

In Persian literature the red corn poppy flower symbolized love.

It is often referred to as the eternal lover flower.


poppy earrings and adjustable ring,


I found these pretty to-color costumes in my files.
The one on the right is "Polish".
 



poppies table runner from www.ivyandhollychristmasshop.com


Here is a pretty costume from Liana's blog.
I think the flowers on the dress look like yellow poppies!

a wood album to use as a guest list, photo album, wedding memories, etc.

One of my favoritist muffins is the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin.
(I can make up words like 'favoritist' because it's my blog!!!)

Here is a recipe I turn to again and again:

torn from a Ladies' Home Journal, October 1991

Lemon poppy seed muffins:

prep. time 10 - 15 minutes
preheat oven to 400'.

Grease twelve 2 1/2" (regular size) muffin pan cups. Or use paper liners.

Whisk together in a medium bowl:
1/4 Cup butter or margarine, melted (I like to use butter), cooled for a bit
1 Cup milk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel (I use the pre-powdered kind)

Combine in a large bowl:
2 Cups all-purpose flour (since I'm high altitude, I like Hungarian Flour brand)
1/3 Cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds

Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined. (over beating makes a dull flat muffin)
Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
(I usually have enough batter for more than 12.)

Bake 20 - 22 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
(I like the re-usable cake tester from Pampered Chef)

While just out of the oven, spoon/brush topping over hot muffins.+
Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes.
Remove from pans and serve warm,
       or cool completely, wrap well and freeze up to 1 month.*

 + Topping:
Combine 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.
Brush on after baking. Lemon juice in the bottle works just fine.

*To reheat, loosely wrap each muffin in a paper towel and microwave on High 15 - 20 seconds.  I would NOT put on the sugar glaze topping when freezing. Then when the muffins are re-heated I would brush on some glaze after microwaving.

stained glass style coloring page from Dover

Little Trivia Fact:

Corn poppy flower leaves and latex have an unpleasant taste
and are mildly poisonous to livestock and wild animals.

Apply:

DO NOT add poppies as garnish for food,
or in the food,
or in the ice bowl!

This way would be okay.....
:0)

vintage 1960 demitasse cup and saucer

or to keep healthy, you could decorate with poppies this way.....


vintage 1940's hat with straw, netting and poppies

I know, I'm just being silly!

Truthfully however, I think poppies look super on anything!


on sale right now at www.sweethomeboutique.etsy.com


More punched flower cards. The flowers on the right are poppies -


This is a wonderful vintage AVON pin:




Now I feel I can't mention Poland in any length without noting my extreme respect for the Polish peoples in demanding a free government,
and freedom from communism.
Without Poland, would the Iron Curtain still be up in Berlin?


Have a happy, poppy sort of day!

Poppies in Flanders Field

inkspired

No comments:

Post a Comment