Friday, September 2, 2011

Statement Analysis: John Carter Second Appearance on Nancy Grace Show

. Please note that Statement Analysis is in bold type.  John Carter reported his fiance, Katelyn Markham, missing.  

GRACE: To John Carter, this is Katelyn Markham`s fiance that reported her missing in the 911 call. John, thank you for being with us. Did you actually wait 24 hours? How long did you wait before you called her in missing? 

CARTER (via telephone): I did not wait 24 hours. As soon as I found out, it was probably about an hour after I had notice she was missing and in between that time I called people. I called my mom to see if she happened to be in my house. I called my dad to see if she happened to be with him. I called a few friends to see if she was with them and then I called the police. 

GLORIA: With us and taking your calls, John Carter, this is Katelyn`s fiance. 

John, let`s get to the timeline again. You were at that condo that evening. What time did you get there and what time did you leave? 


This is a good question because innocent people will work from memory, report chronologically (as it happened) and without sensitivity indicators.  In fact, they can repeat it backwards and forwards without issue. 
CARTER: I got there around 7:30, 8:00. I left around 11:30, 12:00. 


We highlight "left" when used as a connecting verb as sensitive. 
GRACE: OK. And then what happened? 

CARTER: I went to a friend`s house, we texted a few times back and forth. 


Note that he went to "a" friend's house, not "my" friends.  Note "we" is used


GRACE: Wait, wait, wait, wait. Do you work during the day? 

CARTER: I work in the evening. 

GRACE: Where? 

CARTER: At a pizza place. 

GRACE: And so at 11:30 at night or midnight, you then go to a friend`s place? 

CARTER: I`m 22. 

GRACE: So? 

CARTER: Well, I go out. I hang out with friends and since I don`t have to wake up early in the morning, I go out late sometimes. 


Note that Nancy Grace appears to have picked up on something sensitive. 
GRACE: OK. So at midnight you go to a friend`s house and then what happens? 

CARTER: We texted back and forth. I just sat around. We watched some TV. 


Please note:


1.  change of pronouns
2.  highlight body posture.   


We flag "sit, stood, stand, standing, " and so on, as sensitive when they enter into a subject's language as they often indicate an increase of tension


GRACE: What did you watch? 

CARTER: Huh? 


He may not have heard her, but NG asked this question deliberately.  She now suspects he is lying.  


When deception is suspected, an investigator will often ask a random question that requires a detailed response.  If he heard her, "huh?" should be considered as sensitive, as it appears that he is stalling in order to think of an answer; an indication that he is not working from memory. 


GRACE: What did you watch? 

CARTER: Just some random noise shows in the back ground. Mostly us sitting around talking. 


Note that he avoids the answer.  Note also that he says "shows" (plural) indicating more than one show.  If it was random background noise, it would not be a "show", nor would it then change to a 2nd (or more) show.  This is an indication that there is deception at the point in the statement where he reported himself (body posture) as sitting.  


This is sensitive and tense. 


GRACE: OK, go ahead. 

CARTER: And then she had texted me a few times. I had gotten a message around 2:00, I decided to go home and then I - 


There is missing information here, as the sentence beings with "And"  
Note that "I had gotten a message around 2:00" is passive, which is not clear as
"Katelyn text'd me at..."   Because he didn't tell us that Katelyn texted him at 2am, we can not say that it happened. 


This is flagged as sensitive. 




GRACE: Hold on. What were you two texting about? 

CARTER: The records that I was getting rid of. She had just said she wanted to be there to see them go and I was just telling her, well, I have a few that I got to get rid of so you can come over tomorrow, the next night and we`ll, you know, burn my records and - 


Note the words:  "getting rid of" repeated: sensitivity.  
The thought of "burning" records at 2AM is concerning.  
Told, telling, etc, is stronger than said:  with "sitting", this is a highly sensitive, tense time forr John Carter. 




GRACE: Back to John Carter. These text messages went back and forth between you and her until what time? 

CARTER: Around, I mean like the last picture message was the last thing I got which came in I can`t remember, 12:45 or 12:50. 


Broken sentence means missing information, as he interrupted his speech.    Note that earlier, he reported getting a text message at 2am, and now states that the "last thing" he got was at 12:45 or 12:50.  
GRACE: And John, had the police asked you to take a polygraph yet? 

CARTER: No, they have not. 


Please note that on the previous appearance on the show he answered "yes" without sensitivity indicators, but when asked when, he reduced commitment with "I think"


Nancy Grace had asked him if he passed and what questions he had been asked.  She appears to not remember this dialog between them. 

GRACE: Are you willing to take one? 

CARTER: Yes, I am. 



UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Where did you see her last? 

CARTER: I saw her, like 12:00 last night. 

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Victoria Chason (ph) organized a search hoping for clues. They were surprised by what they found. A red phone, battery. 

CARTER: No response. I call her. No response. 


Note that "call" is in the present tense.  Present tense language may be an indicator that the subject is making up his words, rather than speaking from memory. 
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: An earring and a shoe, all within a few feet of each other. 

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: It`s definitely a road that not a lot of people go on. Especially at night. 

(END VIDEOTAPE)

GRACE: Where is a 22-year-old bride-to-be, set to be married, Katelyn Markham? 

We are taking your calls. I want to go back out John Carter, again, thank you for being with us. Everyone, this is her Fiance that was with her just before she goes missing. Now, we left off around 2:00 a.m. You leave your friend`s house. You go home. On foot or in a car? 

CARTER: In my car. 

GRACE: Ok. You get home. Then what happens? 

CARTER: I sit around and I watch a few TV shows to help me, you know, get tired, get ready to go to sleep. I send her a good morning text message. Just kind of, you know, give her, you know, I hope you have a good day kind of feeling. And then I went to sleep right after that. 


1.  Note body posture again indicating tension. 
2.  Note greeting of "good morning" via text.  Greetings are important, not because there were greetings, but because they are in the statement. 


We all say "good morning" to our loved ones, but few feel it necessary to tell others that they greeted someone; therefore, in Statement Analysis, this is very important.  At times, "good bye" or "see you later" can correlate to the time of death. 


Here, he finds it necessary to tell Nancy Grace that he had good will towards his fiance. 




GRACE: What time? 

CARTER: Around 4:00. 

GRACE: 4:00. Hmm. All right. What time did you get up? 

CARTER: Around 4:30. 

GRACE: In the afternoon? 

CARTER: Yes. I - 

GRACE: You slept for 12 hours? 


Note that NG suspects lying. It is not known why she did not ask him about his previous report of taking and passing a polygraph, giving details on what questions were asked of him. 
CARTER: I have a crazy sleep schedule. 

GRACE: So it`s 4:30 when you realize that she`s missing. What time did you realize she`s missing? 

CARTER: I realized she was missing at around 7:00 in the evening. 

GRACE: Holy molly. 

CARTER: Yes. 

GRACE: Everybody, let me give you the tip line. Bride-to-be, a young art student, is missing. 513-352-3040. 

No comments:

Post a Comment